Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Planning FAQs

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​265 Parkway Blvd.
Coppell, TX 75019
​P.O. Box 9478 
​​Fax: 972-304-3570
Planning email​

 css portal.png ​  ​​​​

​​Frequently Asked Questions 

​1. How do I find property owner information? 

Property owner information can be found on the County Appraisal District website.  The majority of property in Coppell is located in Dallas County with the remainder in Denton County.    – ADD MAP-  
Denton County Appraisal District: 
Dallas County Appraisal District: 

2. What is a pre-development conference? 

A pre-development conference is a preliminary informational meeting between an applicant and staff.  
This meeting is used to help the applicant prepare to submit a development application, and/or identify any major issues that the proposed project may encounter after submittal.  
A pre-development conference is recommended when submitting for any development projects.  These meeting occur on Tuesday mornings.   
If you would like to schedule a pre-development conference please call 972-304-3678, 

3. Does the City of Coppell have copies of surveys or plot plans? 

The City of Coppell does not have copies of surveys or plot plansTypically, when you purchase a piece of property you should be given a survey or plot plan.  To obtain a survey for a particular piece of property contact a certified surveyor.   

4. Where can I find the zoning for a piece of property? 

For Zoning questions, please contact the Planning Department at (972)-
304-3678 or Planning Email 

5. Where can I find the Zoning Ordinance Regulations?  

The Zoning Ordinance Regulations can be found on-line at the 
Municode library website 

6. Where can I find maps? 

We have a variety of maps: GIS Map, Vacant 
Commercial Land Map, Active Case Map,  Zoning Map, Future Land Use Map, Subdivision and S.U.P. Map, which can be found here.  Please contact the Planning Department for verification at (972)-304-3678 or Planning Email 

7. How do I apply for a Zoning Change/PD/SUP/Plat: 

ALL applications MUST ​​be submitted on-line through the 
CSS Portal or via email rather than in person. Please refer to the Planning Application and Virtual Meeting Processfor more detailed information.    

​8. Where can I find Home Owner Association (HOA) information?  

HOA information can be found on-line here

9. How do I update our Home Owners Association Information? 

HOA information can be updated by filling out this form and following the instructions listed 

10. How large is Coppell?  

The city is 14.71 square miles.​ 

11. What is the city's current population?  

41,440 as of January 1, 2020. 

12. What is the role of the Planning and Zoning Commission?  

The Planning and Zoning Commission is a recommending body to the City Council on all zoning, platting, and development matters. They are the Site Plan approval authority and have been granted the right to approve Final Plats in some instances​.​​​ 

13. How often does the Planning and Zoning Commission meet?  

The Planning and Zoning Commission meets every third Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers. 

14. How can I obtain specific information on upcoming zoning cases?  

​Call the Planning Department at (972) 304-3678 and ask to speak with a planner on staff. The zoning cases are listed on the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council agendas posted in City Hall at least 72 hours prior to the respective meetings, and are published in the Citizens' Advocate newspaper. Planning and Zoning Commission Agendas, Minutes and Packets are available in the Public Document Database. The Agenda/Packet is available the Friday before the scheduled meeting.​ 

15. Who is notified with regards to a zoning change request? 

All property owners on the most recently approved tax roll located within 200 feet of the zoning change request are notified by mail at least 10 days prior to the Planning and Zoning Commission meeting. A zoning notification sign is also placed on the subject property 10 days prior to the hearing and remains on the property until the city takes action on the request. 

16. What can be done if I oppose the rezoning of property within my neighborhood?  

Send in your written opposition to the Planning Department prior to the Planning and Zoning Commission meeting. The planning staff may be contacted to obtain detailed information on the case. A staff report is available the Monday before the Planning and Zoning Commission meeting. Encourage all surrounding property owners to attend the public hearing.

​17. Can City Council overrule a zoning recommendation for denial forwarded by the Planning and Zoning Commission?  

Yes. It would take an affirmative vote of at least three-fourths of all the members of City Council (6 out of 7) to overrule a recommendation of the Planning and Zoning Commission that a proposed zoning change be denied. 

18. How much opposition is necessary to require an affirmative vote of at least three- fourths of all members of the City Council?  

The protest must be written and signed by the property owners of at least 20% of either the area of lots or land covered by the proposed change or the areas of lots or land immediately adjoining the area covered by the proposed change, extending 200 feet from that area. 

19. What is the difference between the Comprehensive Plan and the Zoning Ordinance?  

The Comprehensive Plan is a long-range plan intended to direct growth and physical development of a community for decades. The plan includes policies relative to physical development, transportation, parks and open space and economic development. It provides for the distribution and relationship of various land uses. The plan also serves as a basis for future development recommendations. Whereas, the Zoning Ordinance regulates the use of land and site development. It controls size of land area, size of yards, building coverage, height of structures, amount of landscaping, among several other things. Any violation of the Zoning Ordinance carries a penalty of up to $2,000 dollars for each offense.​