Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Fire Department

Services & Education FAQ'S

​​​​​​​​​​​​To schedule a non-emergency service, training, or public education, please contact Fire Administration at 972-304-3512, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. or call Life Safety Park at 972-462-5373 depending on the request (see below).

The fire department schedules non-emergency services and other activities after 10 am​ and in available time periods on selected days. This allows firefig​hters to perform their morning functions of preparing themselves and the fire apparatus and equipment to ensure their readiness in the event of an emergency. Due to the nature of our business, occasionally previously arranged programs are subject to last minute changes, delays, or cancellation. While we strive to meet every prearranged program obligation, occasionally interruptions do occur and last minute notification and rescheduling may be necessary.​​​

services and education FAQ's

Does the fire department do free blood pressure checks?

Any Coppell Fire Station will do free blood pressure checks without an appointment, granted station personnel are at the station and not on a call.

Does the fire department provide CPR, first aid instruction?

The Coppell Fire Department provides CPR and first aid instruction through Life Safety Park. Please access additional information at

How do I dispose of a fire extinguisher or a smoke detector?

Please see the following recommendation by the Coppell Environmental health department.

Can I tour the fire station?

Coppell welcomes guests into our fire stations as part of our community and educational outreach. Fire station tours are conducted for church groups, schools, social clubs, mom's groups, and other organizations. All tours are personalized for each group based on the age and skill level of the participants. We will show you the fire trucks and the equipment we use, as well as where we live and eat every day. Please contact Coppell Fire Department Administration @972-304-3512 or Life Safety Park at (972) 462-5371 or (972) 462-5373.

Can I have a birthday party at the fire station?

The Coppell Fire Department is unable to host children's birthday parties. We would be glad to schedule a tour for your birthday child or group under 25 people, but please make other arrangements for refreshments and gifts.

Can the fire department inspect and/or install my child's car seat?

Car seat installation instruction is provided by Life Safety Park at 820 S. Coppell Road. If you would like schedule an appointment for Life Safety Park staff to inspect and provide education in car seat installation, please follow the following link to fill out an online request form.


Appointments are encouraged to ensure we can properly assist you, but should you have any questions or immediate concerns, please give us a call at (972) 462-5371 or (972) 462-5373.

How do I check my smoke detector?

Every smoke detector has a test button, usually in the center of the detector. Press the test button and hold it for a few seconds. If it is working correctly, the alarm will sound and will automatically stop when you release the button. Remember to test your smoke detector monthly and change the batteries twice a year.

Will the fire department help me replace my smoke detector batteries?

The Coppell Fire Department will come and assist you with replacing your batteries or installing a smoke detector. Contact Coppell Fire Department Fire Administration at 972-304-3512.

Will the fire department come unlock my vehicle if I lock my keys inside?

The fire department will respond to an emergency unlock of your vehicle if there is a child or pet inside the vehicle or the engine is running.

My house is flooding, and I need the water turned off (emergency).

Call 911 for the Coppell Fire Department to respond.

I need my water shut off (non-emergency).

Technicians from the Utility Operations Division can turn your water meter off for you to make repairs on your private water line. Call (972) 462-5150 Monday through Friday between the hours of 7 am and 4:30 pm for this service. After repairs are completed, you can arrange to have Utility Operations personnel turn your water meter back on by calling the same number.

After normal business hours, on weekends and holidays, for emergency situations call (972) 462-5150 and the phone system will immediately page the on-call technician. The technician should return your call within fifteen minutes to get the necessary information regarding the problem. You will be asked to leave your name and phone number so the technician can return your call. You may also call Non-emergency Dispatch at 469-289-3270.

Can I drop off my expired/outdated medications?

We do not take outdated medications; however, the City holds a contract with Republic Services for household hazardous waste removal. For assistance, call 817-953-7214 or access the following link:

Can I drop off my medical waste?

The City holds a contract with Republic Services for household hazardous waste removal.

For assistance, call 817-953-7214 or access the following link:

Occasionally I see a fire hydrant with what appears to be water gushing out of it. Why is this and do I need to report it? Why is the fire hydrant gushing water?

This is an intentional flushing of the city's water system which is done on a routine basis by the public utilities department to remove sediment from lines and keeps the entire water distribution system refreshed. Although it may appear to waste water, "flushing" the hydrants is part of a routine maintenance program necessary to maintain the integrity of the water system and to continue to deliver the highest quality water possible to our customers. Flushing of the dead-end fire hydrants is a State of Texas requirement by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
Any further questions, please contact Coppell Public Works Department at 972-462-5150.

Can I do Community Service at a fire station or through the fire department?

We currently do not offer opportunities to complete community service hours through our department.

Why does a fire engine come when I call for an ambulance?

All fire apparatus are equipped with ALS (Advanced Life Support) and Paramedics to respond to medical calls. At times, all ambulances may be busy with other medical calls or may be too far to respond.  Therefore, a fire engine is also dispatched to get there faster and begin patient care.

Does the Fire Department fill private pools with water?

The proper procedure to fill the pool is with your own water hose.

Why do I sometimes see fire trucks or ambulances running with their lights and sirens on, and then suddenly they turn them off?

Emergency lights and sirens are used only when responding to a call. Apparatus responding to calls are frequently cancelled, or the first arriving unit determines that the call is not an emergency and tells the units to respond in a non-emergency mode, or to return to their station.

Is it legal to burn trash in Coppell?

Bonfires, trench burns, garbage/waste disposal fires and related outdoor burning are prohibited in the City of Coppell. 

When do the firefighters work?

The fire department personnel work 24 hours on duty and 48 hours off. The department is divided into three shifts (A, B, C). The stations are staffed 24 / 7 year-round including holidays.

Why do fire crews drive the engine to the grocery store?

Crews work 24-hour shifts and must provide their own meals.  To provide the most effective and rapid care, the crews take the apparatus to the stores so they can stay in service and respond to any emergencies that occurs in the city.

Status of fire sprinkler plans?

What is required for fire permits?  How and where to submit?

Please contact Building Inspections at (972) 304-3500 or access the following link:

Can fireworks be used in the City of Coppell?

No. Except for authorized public displays, fireworks are illegal to possess or discharge inside the city limits of Coppell.

How do I get a copy of a fire incident report?

Please submit any request for fire incident reports as an open records request through the City of Coppell City Secretary office at the following link:


How do I get a copy of an EMS/medical report?

In order to help process an insurance claim or meet other obligations, fire administration personnel (972-304-3512 or can assist you in obtaining an ambulance report / medical record.  Please contact the Fire Department EMS Chief at 972-304-3512 with your request at your earliest convenience and we will assist you through the process. 

Due to HIPPA Health Insurance Portability Protection Act, a request for an ambulance report / medical record must be made in person with proper picture identification or by completing the appropriate notarized Medical Authorization Form and submitting it to our office.  The appropriate documentation must be submitted prior to the release of an ambulance report / medical record.

Who do I contact about an ambulance/medical bill?

Coppell Fire Department outsources ambulance billing records to Emergicon. If you have any questions regarding your bill, please contact them at 1-877-602-2060.