Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Community Development

Code Compliance

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​265 E Parkway Blvd.
Coppell, TX 75019​​
PO Box 9478
​972-304-3500 (Press option #1 for Building Inspections)​
The Code Compliance Division consists of three code compliance officers.  To maintain the neighborhood integrity and safety of the community, each officer is assigned an area to ensure this is accompli​shed.  

Our Mission: To reasonably and impartially apply the building and municipal codes to enhance the look, safety, and health of our community.​

TO REPORT A CONCERN: Please call 972-304-3500 or visit us online at and select "Request for Service".  You can also e-mail or visit us in person at 265 E Parkway Blvd.  Please provide as much information as possible including a valid street address.​


What are the most common code violations?

High weeds and grass- on entire property including sidewalk, and alley; over 12 inches 
Overgrown trees or vegetation extending into the right of way can be a hazard. Trees are not to extend over the right-of-way (street, alley, sidewalk) and should not be lower than 14 feet over the street or alley or 7 feet over the sidewalk.
Parking on unapproved surface- vehicles must be parked on approved concrete surfaces
Residential outside storage – items may not be stored on property in public view
Inoperative/ junk vehicles- may not be stored in public view
Fence maintenance- Fences must be maintained and in good condition
Exterior Property Maintenance – property must be maintained and in good condition

Is a permit required to have a garage sale?

No.  However, garage sales are only allowed twice a year.  Garage sale signs may only be erected between the hours of 6 pm Thursday and 10 pm Sunday.  Sign faces cannot exceed six square feet or be any higher off the ground than 36 inches.  Signs may only be placed on private property and not on city right-of-way.  No sign will be allowed within any street median or attached to any tree, public utility pole, street sign, traffic control sign or devise or other sign.

Are temporary signs allowed in the City of Coppell?​

​Certain restrictions apply.  Please visit Municode​ for more information.

If I'm currently renting my property, am I required to register the property with the City?

Yes.  Rental properties are required to be registered with the City on or before January 31.  Please visit the Rental Registration program for more information.

Do rental properties require an inspection?

Yes.  An inspection of the property is required only when there is a tenant change or upon becoming a rental and must be inspected prior to occupancy.  Please contact Building Inspections Department at 972-304-3500 to schedule an inspection.

Does the City inspect for mold issues?

No. To submit a complaint regarding mold please contact the Texas Department of State Health Services.  For cleanup and remediation please visit the Centers for Disease Control Prevention website.​

Illegal Signs Pay You Program​

​For more information regarding the Illegal Signs Pay You Program click here​.

How will I be notified if I am found to have a violation at my property? ​

  • ​A courtesy notice will either be left at the property by way of a notice left at the door or mailed to the owner and/or occupany identifying the violation(s) and giving a date that the property will be reinspected for compliance. 
  • If at the time of reinspection the property is not in compliance, a second notice of violation will be mailed and a final reinspection date set.
  • If the property is still non-compliant at the time of reinspection, the citation process can begin.

What can I do if I am unable to bring my property into compliance within the given timeframe?

​Making contact with the code compliance officer as soon as you receive notice to discuss the matter is crucial.  Depending on the circumstances, the code officer may be able to grant an extension.


To view map click here​​​.

​Rental Registration Program

The City of Coppell requires that all rental properties located in the city be registered.  Rental properties must be registered on or before January 31 of each year or upon becoming a rental property and much be inspected prior to a tenant move in or tenant change.  For Multi-Family registrations please contact the Building Inspections Department at 972-304-3500.

Single Family Rental Online Payment​

​​$50 Annual Fee (effective Jan. 1, 2019)​

Registration Forms and Inspection Checklist:

​$50 Fee upon New Tenant (effective Jan. 1, 2019)
​​$10 per unit Annual Fee (effective Jan. 1, 2019)

​​short term rental (STR's)​

On January 2, 2019, the Short-Term Rental Ordinance​ went into effect.  All property owners who rent their home or a portion of their home for less than 30 days need to register with the city and have their home inspected.   

Single Family Rental Brochure​ - to be completed and submitted with application. 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) specific to STR's

Registration Form

​       ​​$50 Annual Fee, $25 Annual Fee if owner is age 65 years or older.*  
Hotel Occupancy Tax Information​.​   

Report Concerns/Violations (SHORT TERM RENTALS ONLY)

To report concerns or violations related to SHORT TERM RENTALS, residents may contact the 24-hour Hotline: 940-448-8440 or online at​. Please note this hotline and website is not for Code Compliance Concerns/Violations and is for Short Term Rentals only.