7PM - 8PM // Cozby Library and Community Commons
6:30PM - 7:30PM // Cozby Library and Community Commons
3:30PM // Cozby Library and Community Commons
6PM - 11PM // Town Center
11AM - 12:15PM // Biodiversity Education Center
Sign up for the Coppell E-Newsletter
A Message from Parks and Recreation Director Brad ReidSeveral years ago, the idea came out of a series of strategic planning summits about renovating the Andrew Brown Parks, going on to suggest major changes to the usage of the park areas in the future, allowing for improvements to youth sports amenities and adding community gathering spaces. These two goals became the baseline for a redesign of the parks in 2011, and have continued to be the focus since.
Athletic fields should be completed within the next week.Softball bleacher seating and backstop netting will be installed next week.Trails around the park are 85% complete. Crews are working to pour remaining areas of concrete trail on the east side of the park and install remaining areas of soft trail on the north end.Landscaping of the entire park in currently in progress.Next Steps - It is anticipated that the project will be completed at the end of March 2017. At that time the trails, play areas and the parking lot will open. Temporary fencing has been installed around the softball and soccer fields to allow the sod time take root. Fields will open in September 2017.
The majority of trails and concrete walkways entering the park have been poured.The Grand Pavilion building is nearly complete. Roofing material, brick columns and brick pavers will be installed in the coming weeks.Bridge piers were completed this week. There will be 2 bridges that will connect the Civic Green area to the Boardwalk Pavilion and hike and bike trails on the North side of the park. Construction of the bridges should begin next week.The Performance Pavilion structure is in place and contractors have started installing the brick on the columns. The contractor has also started the construction of the Boardwalk Pavilion. Next Steps - The project is still on target to be completed in time for Celebrate Coppell on July 1, 2017.
The project at Andrew Brown West is moving into its final stages. Core Construction is in the process of finishing out the building structures which includes interior work (drywall, paint and the installation of appliances.)The roofing material is installed on the buildings and pavilion, and roofing material on the dugouts and spectator seating areas is being installed. The children’s play area is nearly complete. The playgrounds, basketball courts and sand volleyball courts have all been installed. The landscape contractor has started the process of installing many of the 278 trees that will be planted with this project, and they are also working on the final stages of the irrigation system.Next Steps - It is anticipated that the project will be completed in March 2017. At that time the trails, play areas and parking lot will open. The softball and soccer fields will remain closed until September 2017 to allow the sod time take root.
Core Construction is currently focusing on the structures in the park, which include the Grand Pavilion, Boardwalk Pavilion and the Performance Pavilion. Crews are also working on the walls around the Grand Pavilion.
Next Steps - Installation of roofing materials will begin very soon on the Restroom Building and the Group Pavilion.
• At Andrew Brown Park West, buildings are beginning to take shape. Masonry has begun at the softball and soccer concession stands. The roof of the softball concession area is being framed. Crews are beginning to work on construction of the playground area. On the south end of the parking lot, 1500 sq. yards of concrete has been poured.
• Next Steps - Additional concrete will be poured to complete the parking lot. Work will begin on irrigation, field fences and lighting.
• At Andrew Brown Park East, moisture conditioning of the soil is complete. Pond excavation has begun to connect the pond on the west side of The CORE to the pond on the east side.
• Next Steps - Building construction of the pavilions will begin in the next few weeks.
• At Andrew Brown Park West, the concrete foundation has been poured for the softball complex concession area, and structural steel is in place. One of the four concrete seating areas for the softball fields has been poured. On the south end of the parking lot, 1500 sq. yards of concrete has been poured.
• Next Steps - Weather permitting, additional concrete will be poured to complete the parking lot and softball field seating areas.
• At Andrew Brown Park East, moisture conditioning of the soil continues underneath the building sites. Moisture conditioning is complete where the Grand Pavilion will stand. Construction is moving somewhat slower at Andrew Brown East, due to weather and flooding in the area. Some areas of trail will be closed due to high water. Please follow all detour signs.
• Next Steps - Moisture conditioning underneath the remaining building sites will continue in the coming weeks.
• At Andrew Brown Park West, grading of the soil is complete, as well as the installation of storm water drainage pipes, utility, water, and sewer lines. Moisture conditioning of the ground is preparing the soil in areas where structures will be built.
• Next Steps - Building pads will be constructed for the soccer concession stand, softball complex concession area, and basketball courts.
• At Andrew Brown Park East, demolition is complete. All structures have been demolished, including the softball complex, basketball courts, all concrete trails within the construction area, and the fishing pier. Crews are currently working to regrade the soil.
• Next Steps - Following the regrading of the soil, storm water drainage pipes will be installed, as well as utilities, sewer lines, and water lines.
• At Andrew Brown Park West, all structures have been demolished and crews are currently working to regrade the soil and are beginning to install storm water drainage pipes.
• Next Steps - Installation of the storm water drainage pipes currently taking place at Andrew Brown Park West will continue for a few weeks and will be followed by installation of sewer lines and water lines. Moisture conditioning of the ground will take place to prepare the soil in areas where structures will be built.
• At Andrew Brown Park East, crews have begun demolition by removing the softball complex, basketball courts, all concrete trails within the construction area, and the fishing pier.
• Next Steps - Demolition will continue at Andrew Brown East, with demolition of the pavilion and restroom complex scheduled to take place mid-week the week of February 22.
After all existing structures are removed, excavation of the top soil and regrading will begin and continue for approximately one month.
The contractor plans to begin the work in late January at Andrew Brown Community Park West with demolition and earthwork as the first activities. The Parks Department will be able to relocate some of the trees being removed at Andrew Brown West to other areas within Coppell, with several moving to Moore Road Park and to Rolling Oaks Memorial Center.